APPLY FOR FUNDING
Does your school have:
- A planned/established after school sports program in the U.S., meeting between 3:00-5:30, for kids in 6th – 8th grades?
- Over 60% of students eligible for Free/Reduced Lunch program?
- Outdated, worn out uniforms and vital equipment that need to be replaced and will be reused year after year?
- A secure place to store uniforms and equipment?
- Staff, transportation, and space for the after school program?
If you answered “yes” to all of the questions above, please fill out our funding request application linked below after you have obtained the following items required to complete the application:
- Official vendor invoices, purchase orders, or quotes for all requested equipment and uniforms. Invoices should include applicable specifics such as price, quantity, sizes, colors, and wording.
- The itemized budget for the after school program for the past two years.
- Review and approval from your Athletic Director or Principal to make sure your application only contains what your school/district most needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some examples of items for which funding would be approved?
- Uniforms with school name, numbers, & JJWF logo. These cannot be personalized with student names.
- Safety equipment like helmets, pads, and wrestling or cheerleading mats.
- Balls, bats, nets, and other equipment vital to the sport.
- Reasonable storage equipment. For example, we will not fund ball carts, as mesh bags would serve an equal purpose.
What are some examples of items that would not be approved?
- Video recorders, electronic timing equipment, electronic scoreboards, and most other electronic equipment.
- Warm-ups, socks, mouth guards, and other non-essential or non-reusable clothing.
- Student duffle bags, automatic ball returns, weight room equipment, and other non-essential or non-reusable equipment.
- Coaching fees, transportation, fields, gyms, and storage locations. We only provide essential uniforms and equipment necessary to participate.
- Equipment that will be used by students in P.E. or outside of 6th – 8th grades. We provide exclusively for 6th – 8th after school programs.
Are there any specific requirements for custom printed items?
We request that the JJWF logo be added to all uniforms. We also request that the uniforms not be personalized with student names. Please have your uniform vendor include the cost of adding the JJWF logo into their quote before submitting your application.
When attaching my vendor quote, can I just take a screenshot of my online shopping cart?
No, we must have an actual vendor quote, estimate, or invoice. The quote must show quantities, sizes, school name and numbers if applicable, and total cost. Please ask the vendor to put a quote number on the quote for our reference.
Are multiple vendors allowed?
Absolutely! When filling out the application, please make sure you upload all of your vendor quotes and enter each total so that the “Total Funds Requested” box remains correct. After entering all of your vendor quotes, please double-check that the “Total Funds Requested” box matches your total. Please let each vendor know you will be working with the JJWF as it can help expedite the process for all parties involved. Keep in mind, we do not accept shopping carts! We must have an actual vendor quote, estimate, or invoice. The quote must show quantities, sizes, school name and numbers if applicable, and total cost. Please ask the vendor to put a quote number on the quote for our reference.
What needs to be included in the budget?
We require a file showing the amount of funding allocated to your school’s athletics program for the previous two years. In addition, this file should contain the amount of money allocated to each sport for which funding is being requested and a detailed, itemized list of expenditures for each of those sports.
What should I do if we do not have a budget?
We require a letter from the Principal, on school letterhead, explaining that there is not an allocated budget for after school athletics. This must be attached to your application by way of scanning or other digitization.
How will we be notified of our application approval or rejection?
Due to the volume of applications we receive, you will only be notified if your request has been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
What happens after we are approved?
The JJWF will send a letter to your program congratulating you and detailing what was approved. We will also send to you, for each vendor, a letter for the vendor and a check payable to the vendor. All items will be sent to you and it is then your responsibility to distribute the vendor letters and checks to their respective vendors to complete the orders.
How often can we re-apply and if rejected, can we ever re-apply?
You may re-apply once per quarter, and you may re-apply even if you are rejected.
WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT TO US
While growing up, JJ Watt, now #99 for the Houston Texans, was able to participate in track, baseball, soccer, hockey, and football. However, during his junior year at the University of Wisconsin, JJ came to the life-changing realization that many kids are not afforded the same access to after school athletic opportunities that he was given. In that moment, JJ decided he wanted to do something to fix this problem while he had such an overwhelmingly supportive fan base to assist him.
With the help of the University of Wisconsin Law Department Research Team, the Justin J. Watt Foundation was born. It is with great pride that I, along with a tremendous team of volunteers, help to carry out my son’s mission of providing after school athletic opportunities for middle school aged children.
If you meet our criteria, please complete the Funding Request Application linked above, attach the vendor invoices and program budget, and submit it for review. All applications are reviewed quarterly (March, June, September, and December).
I look forward to hearing from you!
Connie L. Watt, Vice President
Justin J. Watt Foundation